Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 1 of Boston Trip - From Latiana (scholar)

Once we got off our red eye flight, we dropped off belongings at the Harvard Inn (the girls) and the boys went to their hotels. We took showers, got cleaned up, dressed and ate mini-bagels and cream cheese for breakfast, then got on the T-Line to go to Northeastern University. There, our tour guide, Mike, showed us the different buildings and told us what took place in them. He also showed us the freshman area, and one of the dorms for 2 people. The dorm room was very small compared to the dorms on CAL's campus. I couldn't see myself in one those dorms because it wouldn't be enough room for me. However, the interior building structure of the freshman residence hall was very unique and contemporary.


After the tour of Northeastern, we had a small Q & A session with Tricia, the dean of admission, and we talked a little about our interests, different majors and fields, and what's needed in order to get into this university. The person with the highest GPA to get accepted at Northeastern had a 4.8 out of a 5.0, which is really amazing ! Tricia supported our program by giving us lunch coupons and we all went to get lunch inside of the cafeteria, next to the largest library in Boston.

After lunch, we walked to the School of the Museum of Fine Arts and Susan gave us a tour. I loved how she was so energetic because we were so tired and if she would have been boring then I would have fallen asleep, so I appreciate her energy and I enjoyed seeing the beautiful visual art pieces. Even though I dont think I want to major in art or have an art career, I could see myself at that school because i do like to draw and there are no specific requirements or classes that you need to have or take in order to graduate from there.


Next, we got back on the T-Line and went to where we boarded a boat and got a tour of Boston in a boat, on the Charles River. The weather acted very funny. One minute the sun was out, the next minute it was raining, then the minute after that the wind blew with such force, creating the cold air, making my fingertips and toes freeze to the point where I didn't want to walk anymore.
I pushed through all the pain, all the coldness and finally made it back to our hotel.

We put on our pj's, ate pizza, reflected on our day, and I'm going to bed at 8:30 because I'm exhausted ! All and all, I enjoyed my first full day in Boston, MA and I cant wait till we explore our adventures tomorrow !

6 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the vivid account of the day I feel like I am right there with you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thrilled to have the Berkeley Scholars in Cambridge! I hope you all enjoyed your riverboat cruise...sorry we couldn't offer you better weather. Hope all went well with your hotel check-ins and your campus tours.

    I look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow at the Mayor's reception!

    Robyn Bell
    Executive Director
    Cambridge Office for Tourism

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latiana, I apprecitated reading your very well written blog on your first day in Boston. I am so proud that all of you have the opportunity to see Boston, and receive such special attention. You are all being treated like the gifted children that you are. Continue to enjoy your trip and record these events so that you can share them with others now, as well as in the future.


    Freda Robinson, Leandrew's mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is seems that you all have accomplished a lot in one day! Latiana, I enjoyed reading your entry, especially your personal commentary on the schools, art museum, dorm rooms, and the weather. Keep up the good work scholars, and I can't wait to hear what will happen next.

    Nicole Martin (Justin's wife)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow i just went through all the pictures and comments and tears are streaming down my face, i feel so thankful that all of you are having this amazing experience, i feel so proud to know all of you, can't wait to see what sort of future all of you will create because in the present moment you already are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW i just went through all the pictures and comments and tears are streaming down my face, i feel so thankful that all of you are having this amazing experience, i fell so proud to know all of you... I can't wait to see what sort of future all of you will create because in the present moment you already are fabulous! love and blessings dale julian"s mom

    ReplyDelete