Thursday, April 9, 2009

Day 3 Trip to Boston Scholar Reflections--Jamiah and Erica

Scholar Agenda:
MIT, Cambridge Community TV, Mayors Office--Keys to the City Award

"Today was such a great day filled with so many opportunities. We first attended MIT and we had some cool students who answered our questions. I learned that MIT is about engineering but you can also get into other fields like humanities. It’s a lot like BHS they said, but mostly math based. I love how homey and comforting MIT was.
We then went on a tour of the campus which was sooo abstract but beautiful at the same time. I just loved the setting.
We then went to the television station and it really broadened my range on fields I want to go in. I loved video-taping our little skits. It felt so natural for me. I am now interested in being a host of a TV show.
To top it all off we got the keys to Cambridge, Massachusetts by the mayor. This made me feel so honored and appreciated and made me want to do more. So now I’m shooting for my 4.0 to do all I can do possible knowing a whole city is counting on us. And the weather was PERFECT."--
Love Jay (Jamiah)


"Being a berkeley scholar means more than just being on a track to go to college; a scholar is a role model, an excellent person, and an involved student outside of academics. The image of a scholar is a prestigious image that is upheld at all times; scholars portray themselves in a professional manner throughout all vigorous activities. A scholar pushes through every obstacle that's thrown their way, in order to reach the goal set ahead. All these attributes make up a Berkeley scholar, and for those particular attributes that is why the Berkeley scholars program was awarded the keys to the city of Cambridge.

It was such a great honor to be presented with the keys to the city award. Meeting both the former mayor and current major was an honor itself. Also seeing the both of them have an extremely important part in Cambridge's history.

Honestly I myself and the scholars don't understand the true importance of this, but hopefully we soon will and cherish that moment. As well as future scholars after us will have to move to broader opportunities to receive a good education and go on more trips such as these. Speaking as a scholar, I would love to receive more acknowledgments such as the one given to us today."

Sincerely,

Erica Gratton

No comments:

Post a Comment